Want to defluff a bit, improve energy and sleep without extremes? You might consider our SHOW UP Challenge starting 6/6/22. Registration ends 5/29/22. Get the details here.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend – SO MUCH GRATITUDE for those who gave their lives to preserve our freedom.
Memorial Day also signifies the beginning of Summer, which means fun cookouts, days by the pool, and vacations. Ahhhhh…so nice.
Today, let’s talk about cookouts. Now, I am ALL about moderation, which means nothing is ever off-limits. I DO implement a few strategies though to both enjoy holiday cookouts while also maintaining my physique goals.
Before we get into those strategies, know this…it’s TOTALLY COOL if you opt to eat whatever you want at your cookout! No judgement! The problem I see with a lot of people is that one day turns into the next into the next into the next…so my philosophy is to implement a nutritional strategy that you don’t need a vacation from. Easy, sustainable, and nothing is forbidden.
With that said…
First and foremost, set yourself up for success by going in with the “I choose to” mindset, rather than the “I can’t have” mindset
- First and foremost, set yourself up for success by going in with the “I choose to” mindset, rather than the “I can’t have” mindset. This small shift in verbiage is HUGE for the psyche! “I can’t have” should not even exist in your vocabulary, because honestly, you can have whatever the hell you want! But when you make the CHOICE to have or not have something, it puts the control and power in YOUR hands. “I CHOOSE to make healthy choices” as opposed to “Oh poor pitiful me…I CAN’T have that.” See the difference? That subtle shift in vocab is so empowering.
- Ditch the bun/bread: indulge in the burgers, hot dogs, etc., but ditch the bun, or make one out of a lettuce wedge or two portobello mushroom caps. You can also use the fixin’s (lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions) and fashion a salad. Remember, fat trumps carbs when it comes to fat loss.
- Snack on veggies/fruit: hit the veggie/fruit platter, and make a healthy dip out of Greek yogurt (search Pinterest for recipes)
- BYOHD: bring your own healthy dish, with enough for everyone. Again, there are SO many great, healthy, delicious recipes out there. Consider joining our free Fit & Lean Healthy Lifestyle group for options (email me at Tara@Primelifefit.com to join).
- If someone is pressuring you to try this or that, and it’s just not something you want, use the “three polite bites” rule: take three small bites and be done. Shout-out to Jill Coleman of Jillfit Physiques for this one!
- Alcohol: I love wine. Most of you know this about me. So, I’m not going to give it up completely…never. One thing I WILL do is make sure I’m staying hydrated – so for each glass of wine (or any alcoholic bevvie), I’ll have at least one glass of water.
- If you over-indulge, DO NOT beat yourself up. It happens. Accept, acknowledge and move on. Remember, you always have a choice to get right back on track the very next meal.
- My secret weapon: FIBER! I have one I use that is great – it sweeps toxins out of your body. I drink it a bit before a meal or before bed. It tastes great too!
Here is one of my favorite recipes for cookouts – enjoy!
Savory Feta Burgers
1 lb grass-fed beef or bison (can sub ground turkey)
¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
1 cup fresh spinach, very finely chopped
½ cup mushrooms, very finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbs fresh chopped parsley
“Mush” all ingredients together in a bowl, and then form into 4 patties. Grill until completely done.
Have fun, be happy, no stress!